Friday, January 20, 2012

Wait... 2 weeks?!

I can't believe that tomorrow, it will have been 2 weeks since I began my journey to and in Spain. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly time goes by.

Classes are okay right now. We still haven't received homework in our 2 classes through la casa de las lenguas. And I know I shouldn't be complaining, and trust me, I'm not. It is just SOO different from Calvin classes. I can't remember the last time I wrote none after a subject in my planner. Let's just say, Fall Semester at Calvin might kick my booty haha. But nevertheless, the homework in 308 seems to make up for the lack of homework in other classes. Although I don't mind it as much as I initially did, it still is a lot to learn. I mean, history and literature... in Spanish? Yikes. I consistently read it with my dictionary next to me and wordreference.com open on my computer. It takes a while, but I've been feeling more and more confident when going into class.

Other than classes, life has been good. There is a group here that the University set up that does events every once in awhile with all the international students. These have been really fun. It gives us the opportunity to get out of our house and experience the college life in Oviedo. This has included a tapas night, salsa dancing, a movie, and a few other activities.

We had one of these events last Tuesday. at a local restaurant. They said that for every drink we bought, we would get a mini pizza.Sounds like the perfect Dutch, college deal right? So the majority of us skipped dinner with our families, assuming these pizzas would fill us up thoroughly. Well I'm sure it's no surprise to you to find out what happened next. These so called mini pizzas much more resembled.... bagel bits. Yes - the old Friday night standard of bite size pizzas. Perfect... if you eat at least 5. Well, the best part. YOU STILL ONLY GOT ONE. So we ended up going to good ol' McDonalds because it was one of the only cheap places open late at night and I got a hamburger and fries - never tasted so good in my entire life. Needless to say, we had a good laugh there about the so called "mini pizzas."

The food at my house has been getting WAY better. I had paella here on Monday and it was delicious! She also has made a couple potato soups for lunch the past couple days that have been great. I much prefer her homemade cooking like that than to the burrito she heated for me tonight.... She showed me today how she cooks her soups. She honestly just throws a bunch of things in the bowl (example... lentils, full peppers, carrots, a chicken breast... etc.) then adds like a little sauce, olive oil, and water and lets it cook for a few hours tonight and then reheats it in the morning. It's delicious. And then, whenever we're ready to eat, you can just go to the kitchen and serve yourself. It works perfectly for those days where I'm hungrier earlier... silly USA schedule. I'm working on it though

Tonight we have an event at the church that I hope will be fun. It'll give us the opportunity to meet more of the congregation and have the chance to talk to them. Then tomorrow, we're going to Leon which is another relatively close city. Leon is famous for it's cathedral and we learned about it in both my art history class and our 308 class. So I'm really excited to see it (and the city in general!)

Other than that, not much planned for the weekend - we have our first 308 test on Wednesday and a proposal due on Monday for our written work throughout the semester so there will probably be alot of homework to do. Oh well - the fact that we have a 3 day week and then MADRID next weekend totally makes up for it :) I can't wait!!

Here are some random pictures :)


the kitchen!

the fish my mama asked me if I wanted the other day... I politely declined haha

She bought me this for breakfast! Kind of like nutella - so good

my lentil soup from lunch today. AMAZING

I'm sure there will be another post this weekend with more pictures!!
Devon

No comments:

Post a Comment